“Addictive, escapist reading. Deliriously satisfying.” —Kirkus
“[A] spellbinding, beautifully written creation. Michael Hurley is a superb storyteller.” —Long & Short Reviews
“[A] tale both hopeful and tragic, with an ending that will leave you lost in thought for days after you finished it.” —The Book Wheel
“Beautifully crafted, flawlessly written, and a resounding novel of friendship, pain, and ultimate forgiveness.” —Literary R & R
BOOKS BY MICHAEL HURLEY
I have listened with weary amazement to conservative pundits crying “Liar, liar! Pants on fire!” in the wake of revelations about the Jonathan Gruber video. Gruber is the MIT economics professor who was paid by the Obama administration in 2009 to help design the laws that became Obamacare. Videos of various speeches he has given reveal that he and the politicians pushing Obamacare deliberately hid their underlying agenda from the people—something apparently heretofore unheard of in the sunny uplands of American legislative politics. In the words of Captain Renault, the GOP House caucus is “shocked, shocked,” to know that obfuscation for political gain is going on in Washington.
The obvious problem with this complaint is that the American people didn’t vote on and pass Obamacare; their duly elected representatives did. Regardless whether any of them chose to read it, there is not one iota of the law that was not published and put before legislators’ eyes before they voted on it. The concept […]
NEWS & REVIEWS
- An audiobook edition of The Vineyard is now out on Audible.com.
- Kirkus Reviews describes The Vineyard as “addictive, escapist reading” with a “deliriously satisfying” conclusion.
- The Prodigal wins the 2013 Chanticleer Reviews Book Award and the $1,000 cash Grand Prize. The Joanne L. Hurley Book Prize is formed in memory of the author’s mother with the proceeds.
- Publishers Weekly describes The Prodigal as “well-crafted prose.”
- Kirkus Reviews describes The Prodigal as “stirring, romantic and evocative of the sea’s magic.”
- ForeWord Clarion Review gives The Prodigal five stars, calling it “a masterpiece of artistic imagination.”
- The Prodigal is reviewed in the Journal of the American Psychiatric Association.
- The Prodigal crosses the pond with an excerpt in the Dublin Review of Books.
- Barnes & Noble’s Small Press Department in New York announces it will stock The Prodigal in selected stores.
- The Prodigal comes to indie bookstore shelves, including Politics & Prose, Tattered Cover, Quail Ridge Books, Booktowne, Cannon Beach Books, Changing Hands, Bank Square Books, Head House Books, Buxton Village Books, and Scuttlebutt Nautical Books & Gifts.
- Listen to Michael on NPR station WUNC during “The State of Things” with host Frank Stasio.
- Listen to Michael on the Drew Marshall Show from Toronto (Mp3 download).
- Watch Michael on the “Virginia This Morning” program on CBS TV affiliate WTVR in Richmond.
- Listen to Michael on “The Bottom Line” program on KBRT radio Los Angeles.
- Salt Magazine features Once Upon A Gypsy Moon in its inaugural issue.
- Video of Michael’s remarks at Quail Ridge Books & Music in Raleigh.